Exercise: Looking to stay in shape? The Eisenhower Senior Center is equipped with exercise equipment available for Bridgeport seniors to use daily from 8:00AM to 3:00PM. Stationary bikes, treadmills and hand weights are available free of charge. In addition to workout equipment, our centers also offer some classes to help you stay in shape.
Knitting and Crochet: Held every Wednesday from 10:00am to 12:00pm. Seniors are taught how to make hats, scarves, socks, blankets and lots more. Items are donated to nonprofit organizations.
Art Therapy: This exercise helps to relax the mind. It also helps with motor skills and strengthen the muscles on the hands.
Ceramics: Be artistic and have fun in a friendly ceramics class! Whether you need to stay active or want to express your artistic flare, ceramics is for you! No experience necessary. You will learn all the basic skills necessary to create beautiful projects. Open to all Bridgeport Seniors, Tuesdays & Thursdays from 10:00am to 3:00pm.. This is a smoke-free, wheelchair accessible environment.
BINGO: Come join us with our new modernized bingo machines or play traditional bingo twice a week at our centers. Open to all Bridgeport Seniors. No reservations necessary. Bingo is held at the locations.
- Eisenhower Center every Tuesday & Thursday from 12:30pm to 3:00pm
- Black Rock Center every Wednesday from 12:30pm to 3:00pm
- North End Bethany Center every Monday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm & every Friday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm
The Eisenhower Center holds a BINGO BLAST every third Thursday of the month. All seniors are welcome and encouraged to come. Lunch will be sold.
Pokeno: If you like Bingo, this is game that is a combination of poker and keno! It is a lot of fun for 12 people at a time and is played using regular playing cards and the pokeno board.
Computer: The Eisenhower Center and the East Side Center are equipped with a Computer Room so Seniors can search the internet, send/access email or just use the word processing programs. Assistance provided if needed.
Billiards: The Eisenhower Center and North Bethany both have billiard tables – Come on down.
Painting: Are you looking for a relaxed setting that encourages creativity that is fun and well-paced? Painting Class is for you. Our painting instructor is great and talented in various painting styles. Classes are held at Eisenhower Center & Black Rock Center.
Energy Assistance Program:
Elderly Hispanic Program: Services include social services, information, referral and case management. Please contact Catalina Acevedo, Coordinator at 203 576-7993.
Renters Rebate Program:
- Filing Dates: From October 21st through March 15th
- Program Description: The Weatherization Assistance of Connecticut is administered by the Department of Social Services. The program consists of helping low-income families and individuals decrease their home energy costs and to be attentive to energy-related health and safety issues in the home. The general requirements in order to qualify are to be a resident of the State of Connecticut and meet a certain annual household income before taxes. Please contact the center for any questions regarding information and referrals.
- Filing Dates: From April 1st through October 1st
- Program Description: The State of Connecticut law provides a reimbursement program for Connecticut renters who are elderly 65+ or older or totally disabled, and whose income does not exceed certain limits. Persons renting an apartment or room or living in cooperative housing may be eligible for this program. The rebate can be up to $900 for married couples and $700 for single persons. The Renters rebate amount is based on a graduated income scale and the amount of rent and utility payments (excluding telephone/cable) made in the calendar year prior to the year in which the renter applies.
Transportation: Senior transportation will be provided to and from the center. Please indicate if transportation will be needed when you are registering to become a member. Transportation will only be provided within the City of Bridgeport.
Program Director for
Department On Aging
307 Golden Hill Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Monday-Friday - 8:00am - 3:00pm