Mayor Joseph P. Ganim
For Immediate Release For More Information:
November 30, 2016 Av Harris (203) 814-7992
City of Bridgeport Reminds Residents of New Brown Bag Collection Guidelines
Loose Leaf Pickup has been Replaced with Bi-weekly Brown Bag Collection
Bridgeport, CT – Mayor Joe Ganim and the Department of Public Facilities today are reminding residents of the new guidelines that will require residents to place leaves, brush and grass clippings in brown bags or in uncovered garbage cans to be ready for pickup on recycling day which occurs biweekly. The new yard refuse collection guidelines replace Loose Leaf Pickup from 2015 in which residents raked leaves and other materials into a pile on their curb for the last six weeks of the year. Transitioning from loose leaf pickup to the new brown bag yard waste collection guidelines saves Bridgeport taxpayers more than $150,000 in labor and equipment and fuel costs. Bridgeport residents can purchase brown bags from Home Depot, Stop and Shop and other grocery or hardware stores.
In order to be collected, Bridgeport residents MUST have their brown bags at the curbside on their day of recycling pickup, as the truck will pass by only once during that week. Once the truck passes it will NOT return until the following scheduled recycling collection day.
2016 BROWN BAG COLLECTION GUIDELINES:
Leaves, brush and grass clippings are on Connecticut’s list of mandatory recycling items. DO NOT MIX THESE WITH GARBAGE. The City of Bridgeport encourages you to compost at home and mulch your grass clippings into your lawn. The City of Bridgeport provides this service throughout the year.
- Curbside by 6:00 a.m. on the recycling day.
- Yard waste will be collected only in brown paper leaf bags, garbage cans with no lids, or open top cardboard boxes. DO NOT USE CITY TOTERS
- Plastic bags, loose piles of brush and leaves, rock, soil, and sand WILL NOT BE COLLECTED
- Brush must be less than 4 feet in length and 6 inches or less in diameter. It must be tied up in bundles, no heavier than 50 lbs.
- There is a 25-pound weight limit for bags and a 50-pound for cans. Please do not overload bags and cans.
- Logs and stumps WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. They can be brought to the Transfer Station, 475 Asylum Street, Bridgeport, CT 06610.
- If you believe your residence was missed for a Brown Bag pick up. Please call the Bridgeport Department of Public Facilities on the same day at 203-576-7124.
Bridgeport Transfer Station Guidelines:
- Yard waste may be brought loose or bagged
- All containers - except brown paper leaf bags MUST BE EMPTIED AND REMOVED
- All vehicles must display a city license or proof of residence. Example: tax bill, bank statement, rental or lease agreement, driver’s license.
- Anyone caught dumping when site is closed will be fined and may lose dumping privileges.