Mayor Ganim Advises Residents to Prepare for Upcoming Snow Conditions
Bridgeport, CT – Mayor Ganim is advising residents to prepare for the ice and snow conditions expected to impact Bridgeport Thursday, January 20, 2022.
Forecast- Thursday Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 7am, then gradually ending. Temperature falling to around 28 by 5pm. Wind chill values between 20 and 30. North wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible. For more information, visit bridgeportct.gov/snow.
How to prepare:
- Before it freezes, sprinkle rock salt (or another environmentally friendly product) to prevent ice from forming.
- Give yourself more time when heading out in the morning.
Tips for safe driving include:
- When winter storms strike, do not drive unless necessary.
- Wet leaves on roadways can cause slippery conditions, making it important to drive at slower speeds when approaching patches of them.
- Keep your gas tank full to prevent gasoline freeze-up.
- While driving, keep vehicles clear of ice and snow.
- Plan stops and keep distance between cars. Always match your speed to the road and weather conditions.
Roadway - Public Facilities reports a crew will be out at 3am to monitor the snows impact and possible need for servicing roads for hazardous conditions. Bridgeport Streets within the City are prioritized to clear major travel routes first. This allows public safety vehicles access to most parts of the City. The initial plowing activities also provide most residents a clearing within two to three blocks of their home and most destinations in the City. Other factors include locations of schools, hospitals, major commercial centers, and other facilities with the large public interest.
For roadway issues, call 203-576-7130 and 203-576-7124. Any roadway issues or concerns can be reported using the mobile application Bridgeport 311.
Public Facilities Operations and Services
- Sanitation & Recycling – Normal schedule will not be postponed
- Transfer Station – Closed Thursday and will re-open Friday
- Brown Bag Collection – Cancelled Thursday and will resume Friday two days behind schedule due to Holiday.
- Christmas Tree Pickup - Cancelled Thursday and will resume Friday two days behind schedule due to Holiday.
- Golf Course – Closed Thursday and will re-open Monday weather permitting
- Parks – Closed Thursday and will re-open Friday
Sidewalks - Commercial and/or residential owners who push snow into the streets or do not clear snow on the sidewalks in front of their buildings are subject to a $100.00 fine per ordinance for each incident.
Adopt a Hydrant – residents are encouraged to clear snow and make a path to a fire hydrant in their neighborhood to assist the Bridgeport Fire Department in case of fire or another emergency.
Snow Related Emergencies
During the storm, residents may call the Bridgeport Emergency Operations Center hotline at 203-579-3829 with any snow-related emergencies.
If residents suffer a loss of electricity call the United Illuminating customer hotline at 800-722-5584 or 203-579-3829. Both numbers are for 24-hour emergency service.
Immediate danger to life and health issues call 9-1-1.
For more information: