The following elements may be used in the selection process, depending upon how far a candidate advances through the process and whether a conditional offer of employment has been extended to you. More details about these elements will be made available if you are scheduled for them. Please note that the entire selection process can take months to complete, depending upon the size of the applicant pool.
The order of the process is not inclusive.
1. Cooper Physical Agility Testing (mandatory) - Attend CHIP* https://www.certifyfit.com/chip-test/ physical agility testing must pass at 40% (out of 100) exercises to measure muscular strength, cardiovascular endurance, and flexibility)
2. Application Submission Period - Complete application online/in-person; submit fee if any; submit certification from CHIP (mandatory)
3. Written Assessment - questions to assess your ability to understand and communicate written instructions; (mandatory)
4. Oral Examination - If candidates received an invitation to attend. (mandatory)
5. Polygraph Examination - inquiries concerning employment history; driving history; medical history; financial history; gambling history; illegal possession, use and sale of drugs/narcotics; criminal activity; military history; illegal sexual activity; use of alcohol; general personal data; prior conduct in police/security/corrections fields; subversive, revolutionary or gang activity; basic honesty and integrity; (mandatory)
6. Background Investigation - comprehensive review of employment, education, training, criminal, motor vehicle and credit histories; (mandatory)
7. Psychological Evaluation - combination of written tests and interview to assess suitability for employment in law enforcement; (mandatory)
8. Medical Evaluation - comprehensive physical examination, including drug screening; (mandatory)
Successful completion of all phases of the selection process means that a candidate is eligible to be considered for final appointment as a Bridgeport Police Officer Recruit. Candidates who are not selected for employment, are welcome to reapply and undergo retesting in any subsequent process.