Renters' Rebate Program
*****Please note: Rosemary Wong, the Community Project Coordinator, has retired from the City of Bridgeport. Please reach out to The Aging Department for help on how to process the application. To make an appointment with the Aging Department located in the Eisenhower center, please call 203-576-7993.******
For the Elderly and Totally Disabled Residents of the City of Bridgeport
State law provides a reimbursement program for Connecticut renters who are elderly or totally disabled, and whose incomes do not exceed certain limits. Persons renting an apartment or room or living in cooperative housing, or a mobile home may be eligible for this program. Renters' rebates can be up to $900 for married couples and $700 for single persons. The renters' rebate amount is based on a graduated income scale and the amount of rent and utility payments (excluding telephone) made in the calendar year prior to the year in which the renter applies. Applications may be submitted between April 1st and October 1st.
Who is Eligible?
The Connecticut Renters’ Rebate Program maximum income for a single person to qualify is $40,300 or $49,100 for a married couple. In addition to meeting the criteria above, applicants must meet:
- a one-year state residency requirement;
- be 65 years old or older or under 65 years and eligible to receive social security disability benefits by December 31, 2022.
- If you’re 50 years old or above and the surviving spouse of a renter who at the time of the renters’ death had qualified and was entitled to the rebate, you may reapply.
- To be eligible, recipients must meet the qualifications.
Please note: Application period opens April 1st and the deadline to apply is October 1st.
- Appointments must be made: Bridgeport residents who would like to apply must contact the Community Project Coordinator via email or by calling 203-576-7993 to complete the application process by appointment.
- Alternately, you can also contact The Aging Department for help on how to process the application. To make an appointment with the Aging Department located in the Eisenhower center, please call 203-576-7993.
- Walk-ins will not be accepted
- To speed up the process, please print and fill out the top part of the form ahead of time:
- Print the checklist of necessary documents and bring all that apply to your appointment: